INSTRUCTIONS: DAS 142 FORM
Prevailing Wage Document: Request for Dispatch of Apprentices (Form 142)
Frequency of Submitting Form: One-Time Submittal
Updated: May 16, 2016
A Request for Dispatch of An Apprentice (Form 142) is a form that must be used to request the dispatch of an apprentice from the Apprenticeship Committee in the craft or trade in the areas of where the public work of improvement is being done. The form (142) must be sent to each Joint Apprenticeship Committee (“JAC”) for each trade anticipated on the project. A request for an apprentice must be made at least 72 hours prior to the official start date of the apprentice. Subcontractors who are not already participating in an approved program and who did not receive sufficient number of apprentices from their initial request, must request dispatched apprentices from at least one other Apprenticeship Committee, if more than one exists in the area of the public works project.
The Form 142 (and Form 140) must be mailed separately. Proof of delivery is required for each form. At the conclusion of the project, the contractor will be required to provide documentation showing fulfillment of the dispatched request, unless certified payroll records show sufficient number of apprentices during the duration of the project. It should be noted that sending forms after the project is over does not eliminate nor reduce exposure for penalties.
A list of JAC’s can be found at the following CA Department of Industrial Relations website: www.dir.ca.gov/database/das/aigstate.asp
- Fill in the Date form is being completed
- Fill in the information of the Applicable Apprenticeship Committee from whom you are requesting apprentices from
- For information about various programs in area of project and trade, click on the following link:
- Fill in the Contractor Requesting Dispatch information:
- License Number
- Telephone and Fax Numbers
- Fill in the Project Information for which the apprentices are being requested. Be sure to not leave any line items blank:
- Contract Number
- Name of Project
- Address (if no address is available, use nearest cross streets)
- Complete the Dispatch Request Information:
- Indicate the number of apprentice(s) needed (Note: The ratio of apprentices to journeypersons on a public works project should not be less than one (1) apprentice hour for every five (5) journeypersons hours.)
- Fill in the Craft or Trade for which you are requesting apprentices for. A separate form must be filled out for each craft or trade for which apprentice(s) are requested. For information about programs in a given area and trade, contractor can visit website: dir.ca.gov/DAS/PublicWorksForms.htm
- Fill in the date and time apprentice is to report
- Fill in the first and last name of the person to which apprentice(s) are to report to as well as the address of where to report to.
- Send this form to the appropriate apprenticeship committee either by certified mail, email or by mail delivery. Proof of delivery that the form was received by the JAC must be provided to the Owner (or administrator) prior to the start of the project.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
A contractor – as well as any subcontractor(s) – need to submit a request for an apprentice (Form 142 accomplishes this). If a contractor decides to provide this request in the form of a letter, they will need to have all of the information that is noted on the DIR DAS Form 142 form in the letter. Also, any pre-employment screening and documentation is paid time for the apprentice.
Below is the link for helpful answers to various questions pertaining to the CA DIR Form 142: