The Universal Hollywood Drive Street Improvement project, located off of the 101 Freeway at Lankershim Boulevard, is part of the $1,000,000,000 NBC Universal “Evolution Plan” to improve the theme park and infrastructure surrounding Universal Studios Hollywood. It serves as one of the two main entrances to Universal Studios.
The work performed and overseen by Murow|CM includes:
- The total reconstruction of the existing four lane roadway to six lanes.
- Installation of sewer, water, storm drain mainlines, and laterals.
- Dry utilities and traffic signal installation, including fiber optics and vaults.
- Mass excavation, fine grading, and new 14” street section.
- Cast in place retaining walls on both spread footings and on caissons.
- All new landscaping and planting of 64 Canariensis palm trees along the medians and retaining walls.
- Construction of a connector tunnel under Universal Hollywood Drive to connect the Universal Studios back lot to the parking structure and offices outside the studios. The connector tunnel will serve to alleviate pedestrian traffic on Lankershim Boulevard and allow seamless security access for NBC Universal employees.
This work was performed with minimal impact to guests and traffic arriving at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Project Start: July 24, 2014
Project End: In Progress
Project Amount: $17,654,818 (Still In Progress)